AdSense Page Ads

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Field of Dreams



And here I am walking you to the field of dreams
One by one in a singular line
Your little feet make barely any noise
Above the rustling of your white gowns
Some of you looked at me with concerns
Some with confusion
Some held on to my dress tightly
Some need to be carried
Yet some are full of laughter
Some are looking forward to the warm light
"Will it be better?" One of you asks
"Will we see our mom and dad? Our puppies and cats and our goldfish?"
Some burst into tears because they know what is the place 
And what it meant to be there
Someone asked me once, "If God was real why bone cancer in children?"
I don't know the answer to that question
Nor why they are there with me in the field of dreams
I do know I stay there until they are calm
Promising to deliver notes and love and kisses to the one they left behind
Holding each one until I feel they are ready
Watching them as they roam and explore the field of dreams
Only then do I turned around
My tears falling and filling the river Styx
My grief and anguish crumbles and humbles me
They are safe now, but not others
Those who suffer and life in fear
Those who forever maimed with trauma
Those who are forgotten and set aside
Those who are victims because we fail them then and we fail them still.

My work is not done.

~ in the memory of Robb Elementary. Rest in peace, little ones. ~






No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog