AdSense Page Ads

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Coming to America



What is it like to be an immigrant in the USA? For me, the answer is clear. Tap water. Drinkable tap water that you can get pretty much anytime, anywhere. 5 years in US and counting, having easily accessed drinkable tap water still blows my mind.

I started this journey 5 years ago. Thanks to the time difference, I depart from Indonesia at 6 pm (Indonesia time) and arrived the same day at 9 pm in Los Angeles. It was my first trip outside Indonesia, my first long-haul flight too. Looking back, it was crazy. I was pretty much the Paddington Bear: no money, no direction, just trying to 'wing it'. 

I had to be taught how to use the mini-screen on the plane. I watched movies non-stop. I carefully observed other people on what to do. Somebody asked if I am a maid/informal worker (yay colorism!). Everything was new and exciting. I was scared and worried, but curiosity got the best of me. And the food, oh dear, the food!

Then the plane left Taipei, and my tears started to flow. The 7 hours flight to Taipei was nothing. It was still Asia. There was a lot of Indonesian there. I could go back home anytime. Leaving Taipei, there was no turning back. The 12+ hours flight was a restless one. What would happen next? I knew I was chasing my happily ever after, but I was still restless.

The next few hours or so was a blur. Me gasping when looking at the 405 freeway from the plane. Me flying through the immigration. The man who picked me up with a bunch of roses. The magnitude of IHOP's omelet. The chill, pervasive June wind. A whole different environment. And tap water. Drinkable tap water.

The last 5 years was a roller coaster ride for me. Lots of tears, lots of laughter. Lost love, newfound infatuations. I came here for a husband, I found a true friend instead. I thought I will have a tight-knit family, I have the whole city of Los Angeles (and beyond) as my kin. I came to be a devoted housewife, become a bad-ass happy-go-lucky city cat instead.

But one thing stayed the same: the drinkable tap water. It represents the sense of security and the ease of life I discovered here. It is a reminder of how far I have gone, and how far I want my people to go. Living here is more than just operas and swing dancing and various dates. Living here is an opportunity to better my self, and by proxy, to better my people back home.

Ideas are contagious. A sense of pride is contagious. Knowing we deserve basic human rights and common human decency is contagious. The ability and courage to stand for what we believe is contagious. Realizing we are worthy is contagious. The dirty little black kitten from the unknown land has turned into a ferocious panther strolling up and down The City of Angels.

To me, this is America. The land where ideas can grow, the land where you can be who you are, the land of equal opportunity. It is not perfect and in some places we need improvements, but we are on the right track. A bumpy, scary, somewhat frustrating track, but still on track. America is not the comfy mansion at the end of the road, it is the edge of the cliff where eagles spread their wings and soar.

Every time I drank the tap water here, I am reminded of what America is. I am reminded of how far I have gone, and how far I still need to go. One thing for sure, I am not turning back. It can get rowdier, it can get messy, but I will not be defeated. Thanks for having me for 5 years and counting, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog